Armed with a camera since 16, my photographic career has spanned many subjects. Photography is beyond a job for me: it’s a passion. Actually, until early 2012, it was a full time passion and a part time job; I’ve shot commercial assignments on and off for the last eight years, but went full time just recently. I’m a physicist by training – I graduated from Oxford at 16 – and subsequently left a senior corporate career in M&A/ private equity (and more recently, as a senior exec director of McDonalds) because it simply wasn’t what I wanted to do, and so far, have been lucky enough not to regret it.
This of course means it’s very important to photograph the things you’re passionate about in their own right. Every photographer aims to find a unique look to their images in order to create a signature look for their clients. I take inspiration from many sources – classical photojournalism, abstract art, motion picture and film – to deliver a unique look and style for my clients. Natural color and dynamic lighting create a strong positive emotion in the viewer, which in turn makes the subject of the photograph – your product or service – memorable. I work on location with both available light and controlled lighting, depending on the needs of the client and subject.
I do two jobs: firstly, I’m Chief of Strategy for Hasselblad, and secondly, I am a commercial photographer specialising in product photography on location and corporate reportage. Lately, I’ve also served as creative consultant and director to ensure a consistent visual look and feel across all aspects of a campaign, including video/ commercials, printed materials and exhibitions – right down to lighting design. It’s no longer just about the visuals: it’s about the experience and the emotion, too.
I have a diverse international client base including Nissan, Chun Wo Engineering and Construction, Jaeger Le-Coultre, Van Cleef & Arpels, Maitres du Temps, Richemont, the Swatch Group, Hijjas Kasturi Architects, Tange Associates Architects, Sunway Group, Maybank, Eastern & Oriental, The Boston Consulting Group, several Michelin star chefs including Fergus Henderson and Bruno Menard, The City of London and Moon Travel Guides. I also maintain an extensive library of over 250,000 high-resolution images available to license, both directly and via Getty Images. For 5 years, I was Contributing Editor to CLICK! Magazine, Malaysia and Editor for 2010. I was appointed a Hasselblad Global Ambassador in 2016 and am also a Nikon Professional Services member in the UK and consultant to Carl Zeiss AG.
Please do not hesitate to contact me to discuss a project, request a quote, or a specific portfolio of images. In addition, limited edition fine art prints are available from time to time directly via this site.
Finally – if you have questions on Hasselblad equipment or would like to share some feedback, please contact me at this email address.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Please note that I cannot answer ‘what should I buy’ questions. There is no right answer to this question – every person’s needs and shooting styles will be different. There are also pages and pages of reviews on this site, along with the recommended equipment list to help you decide for yourself.
Exhibitions/ In the media:
– Un/Natural, with Stephen King, Alisan Fine Arts, Hong Kong (5 Dec 2015-15 Jan 2016)
– ‘The Idea of Man’, The Rangefinder Gallery, Chicago (2-31 Oct 2015)
– ‘Connection’, Hong Kong Arts Centre, Hong Kong, (11-17 June 2015)
– ‘Engineering Art in Metal’, The Centre for Asian Photographers, Kuala Lumpur (3-31 Jan 2014)
– Interviewed on the official Carl Zeiss blog on food photography (14 Oct 2013)
– DSLR Magazine, cover interview/ featured photographer (Feb 2013 edition)
– ‘Diametric opposites: East and West’, Leica Gallery Starhill, Kuala Lumpur (18 Jan-18 April 2013)
– New York Times/ International Herald Tribune – interviewed on watch photography (24 Nov 2012)
– The official Leica Camera Blog – interview/ featured photographer (8 Nov 2012)
– BFM 89.9 Tech Talk on Photokina 2012 (8 October 2012)
– BFM 89.9 Tech Talk on photography (29 June 2012)
– BFM 89.9 Careers unusual (4 May 2012)
– The Edge Malaysia, p Op18 (July 2-8 Edition)
– Horological photography exhibition sponsored by Jaeger Le-Coultre and Leica Camera, at Starhill Gallery (May 2012)
– The Malaysian Reserve – commentary on democratisation of the industry and local support in Malaysia (14 Sep 2012)