If it seems slightly odd that I have to write an article like this in the first place, that’s because I’ve been noticing several trends in my email inbox lately:
- Why don’t I review XYZ camera, or if I can review XYZ camera?
- Why didn’t I test for a particular feature?
- Why didn’t I test a particular combination of body and lens or some other accessory/ add-on?
- Why didn’t I post full size files, or raw files?
- Why do I postprocess the files/ test JPEG output?
- Are you paid by the camera companies to write good things?
- I read your review of XYZ, but would like to get some more thoughts. What do you think of XYZ?
- And of course the usual…”Should I buy X or Y?”
I’m going to add a few to this list myself:
- What’s the difference between my reviews and others?
- Why do I only review certain cameras?
- In the unlikely event I’m given or loaned a piece of equipment to review, then what?
I’m going to address these once and for all, and then return to the business of making images with the occasional detour into the equipment.