Due to the fantastic response to the last competition – over 120 entries – I’ve decided to run another one for August 2012. The theme will be: Compact Challenge.
What this means is that all images must be taken with a small-sensor, non-interchangeable lens camera; I’ll permit anything up to a Sony RX100, but the Canon G1x, Fuji X100/ XPro, Leica X1/X2, Sigma DP1/2, Sony NEX, Samsung NX, Nikon 1, M4/3 cameras and other CSCs with interchangeable lenses are not allowed.
The challenge? To capture the most amazing image with your compact; there’s no theme. Entries will be judged on the usual photographic criteria (composition, lighting, timing, technical quality) with one additional twist: bonus points for the ability to transcend the limitations of the camera, i.e. create a composition so strong or angle so unique that on first glance, it wasn’t obviously shot with a compact. By that token, filters, special effects, apps etc are not allowed either – though regular Photoshop processing is fine. The shot should be about the composition and execution, not postprocessing.
The entry fee remains just US$5, payable via paypal to mingthein2(at)gmail.com. As with the previous competition, the more entries we get, the bigger the prize pot: 70% of this will be paid out in prize money – 50% to the winner, and 20% to an honourable mention.
The basic principles:
- It will be 100% merit based. I will be judging.
- There will be a cash award for the winner and runner up!
- The prizes will be supported by a small entry fee of US$5 – the more people who enter, the bigger the award pot becomes. So share it with your friends!
- You will learn something: the final 10 images will be given a detailed critique on the site.
- Unlike just about every other competition out there, I won’t keep the rights to your images; all you need to agree to is allow me to publish the image here if you win, or if you make the final 10.
- There are no restrictions on equipment or date the picture was shot.
- You do of course need to have shot the photo, and own the rights to the image.
- Images must be in the theme of the competition.
- No restrictions on entries for amateurs/ professionals; I’m only looking at the quality of your image.
- Color or black and white are equally acceptable.
This is designed to be a competition by photographers, for photographers.
Closing date: Midnight GMT, 31 August, 2012.
How to enter:
- Each participant is allowed to enter one image per $5 entry fee, multiple entires are permitted.
- Images must be in jpeg format, 1500 pixels wide on the long side. Please do not send in full size images!
- Name your images with your name – “firstname lastname.jpg” is perfect
- Watermarks are fine but must not obscure the subject (obviously)!
- Send an email with “August 2012″ [space] plus your name in the subject line to mingthein2(at)gmail.com. The body of the email should contain your paypal address (payment is required for participation), name, your image and its title.
- Send your entry fee of US$5 via Paypal gift to firstname.lastname@example.org
- I will confirm receipt of both to the email address the image came from.
- Judging will take place in the first week of September, with results to come thereafter.
- Multiple entries are permitted, but each entry must have a separate entry fee.
The fine print:
- First place takes 50% of the total entry fees received.
- The runner up takes 20% of the total entry fees received.
- The balance of 30% will go towards running and supporting this site.
- You must own the rights to the image submitted.
- Rights for all images submitted remain property of the photographer, but in order to be eligible to win, the photographer must grant mingthein.com the rights to publish the image either as part of the results announcement or critique.
- No time limit to when the images may have been taken.
- The judges’ decision is final.
- EXIF data must be left intact so the camera type used can be verified – cameras with interchangeable lenses, SLRs and large sensor compacts (APS-C and above, fixed lens or not) are not permitted. We reserve the right to reject entries if they do not comply with the requirements.
- Photoshop allowed, but digital editing is limited to adjustments to color/ contrast/ dodge & burn/ sharpening/ minor retouching including spot removal etc. Changes of substantial portions of the image in order to alter the overall impression of the photograph are not allowed, and if detected are subject to disqualification.
- Your email address and other personal data will remain confidential and not be shared with any third party.
- Entries are welcome from any country, it’s an international competition!
Remember: the prize grows directly proportional to number of entries, so share this with your other photography friends and on Facebook!
Good luck, and may the best image win! Looking forward to seeing all of your entries – let’s see if we can break 200 this time! MT